Monday, July 12, 2010

A Record of Chicken Enchiladas

I made chicken enchiladas this last week that were a hit with two of my most favorite men.

Sometimes I just throw in a little fo this and a little of that and forget how to replicate recipes. I get scolded when I do that. I have been forewarned that this should be a repeat meal, so I need to record an account of how it was prepared.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures to go along. I wasn't planning for a foodie blog entry, so I am completely unprepared and this entry will appear completely lame. But, if you can stick with it and trust that they turn out absolutely gorgeous and even more delicious, I promise you won't be sorry.

I roasted a chicken for dinner the other night and as is normally the case, half was eaten and half was leftover.

Deboned leftover roasted chicken = all kinds of fun!

The other players:

1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp flour
1 can enchilada sauce
salt
pepper
corn tortillas
1 can green chilis
1 Tbsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 chopped onion
1 1/2-2 cups grated cheese
1 can chopped black olives
cilantro

How it works:

Heat the oil and stir in the flour. Let cook, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes. Add the can of enchilada sauce, salt and pepper and heat through. While the sauce is heating, saute the onions in a separate pan. Add in the chicken, green chilis, cumin, and paprika. Next you will lightly fry the corn tortillas until soft. Dip them in the enchilada sauce and fill them with spoonfuls of chicken, cheese and black olives. Once all are filled top with remaining enchilada sauce, grated cheese and cilantro. Heat in the oven for 20-25 minutes on 350.

To complete the meal, I took some leftover corn-on-the-cobb and  "de-cobbed" it. Is that a word? Oh well, it is now. The corn was heated in a pan with a tablespoon of butter and a few spoonfulls of premade pico. The enchiladas were topped with a dallop of sour cream and guacamole.

Happy Eating,
Amy

No comments: